Exercise regimens such as Functional Fitness and Crossfit are excellent fitness approaches for people observing paleo and keto lifestyles.
That’s why members of the Primal Island team have trained for years with Functional Fitness trainer Adam Fawcett, of Vibrant Fitness, on Whidbey Island.
We got together with Adam recently and asked him to share with us some easy-to-do core fitness routines that can be done at home. He recommended the following for strengthening your core, as well as for reducing or eliminating back pain.
To Get Started:
1. Watch the two videos below – Bird Dogs and Dead Bugs – to familiarize yourself with the routines.
2. Warm up with a 5 to 10 minute walk
3. Place your laptop or mobile device where you can see it while you do the exercises.
4. Do 2 sets of each exercise, based on the following reps per set:
• Bird Dogs – 15 to 20 reps
• Dead Bugs, 9 contra-lateral reps per side (contra-lateral is opposite arm-leg extensions)
• Dead Bugs, 9 ipsi-lateral reps per side (ipsi-lateral is same arm-leg extensions)
5. As a guideline, do the exercises until you feel significant fatigue or feel the burn in targeted muscles.
Adam suggests starting slow and easy at first, aiming to do these exercises every day for 3 to 4 weeks. Each time you’ve done them 4 days in a row, take a rest day, then resume. After 4 weeks, maintain core stability gains by doing the exercises 3 to 5 times per week.